2018 is here. 2017 left quietly from the goat pen. Scattered neighbors sent the old year away with firecrackers as is the norm here. Last year I participated in Zöe Dearborn’s Art Journal project and I’m doing it again this year. If you want to join in you can follow along on Facebook. It was a very rewarding and demanding in January of 2017. Well worth the effort. Every day for the month of January Zöe sends a prompt for us to journal about. Today’s assignment is to write about what we loved in 2017. Then to write about what we want to love in 2018. Afterwards we are to circle significant words and draw a picture or several of the significant words. My picture is above. The words are incorporated here with slight revisions for readability. Journal writing is more stream of consciousness than blogging. Hard to believe if you read this regularly but I do try to make it readable. So off we go…
What I loved about 2017…
1. Mimi, Olive, and Elvis all lasted the year. It was not a given. It never is; Mimi is 19; Olive survived a poisoning; Elvis is a a big dog of 12. I am very glad they all are here with me this morning.
2. My dad has found new love.
3. Burt and I were able to travel and do so many different things together.
3.a. See the total solar eclipse in Oregon surrounded by friends and music.
3.b. Visit Spain, art, food, history
3.c. Italy, art, food, history
3.c.2. walking Amalfi coast
4. Work in California (Hello Ursulaululates), Oregon, Washington, and Arizona
5. Portal Irish Music Week
6. Saw so many loved ones this year. Our immediately family in Europe and Montana. Scattered dear friends all over the U.S.
7. I loved missing Mexico so much. I missed teh neighborhood children. I constantly looked forward to seeing them again.
8. That we returned to Mexico sooner rather than later.
9. That we went to the Galapagos and saw so much beauty and so many animals.
9.a. marine iguana
9.b. land iguana
9.d. fiches, finches, finches
9.f. fishes and octopus and sea lions
9.g. lava gulls
9.h. lava herons
9.i. I could go on and on
9.j. oh, yeah, blue-footed boobies
10. That Burt and I continue on in a relationship as good as I know. That we struggle to understand and support one another. That we try to bring love and kindness to each other. That we support each other. That we still do the deed.
I am a very lucky woman. I could go on all day about what I loved in 2017. I feel success in building the life I want to have. A life of meaningful work and fun and beauty.
For 2018 I want to be able to love many of the same things but I’d like to add some external things:
1. I want more kindness and generosity of spirit in the world.
2. I want political change in the US. I’m not talking parties. I’m talking love, kindness, support, healthy environment, health care, peace.
3. More travel with Burt (Hello, Galapagos).
4. More music with Burt (First gig announcement soon).
5. More peace for all of us.
6. More work and play with the neighborhood kids.
7. Continued good enough health.
8. I’d love the pets to all see 2018 through but I’m not sure that’s the best for them. We’ll take that month by month.
9. And, of course, health and love to my friends, family, and dear readers.
I recommend this exercise even if you are not in the project. I have a warm glow thinking about the good. It was a very good year for us.